The Cooperation Eugene Study Circle learns about the theory and practice of systems change for the regenerative economy. We organize monthly conversations about books, articles, movies, podcasts, videos, etc. that address “What’s next?” more than “What’s wrong?”
We meet the first Tuesday of the month at 7 pm. For the duration of the period where we are all being called upon to practice social distancing we will be having the meetings online using Zoom. See the description below for the meeting room link.
Membership consists of an email list that will be notified of upcoming titles. To get on the Study Circle mailing list you can visit our mailing list subscription page to add yourself. If you have any questions send email to: StudyCircle [at] CooperationEugene [dot] org or call Alberta at 818-903-6125. Members can choose to attend only the meetings with topics of interest to them.
Join us for an educational discussion!
October 6 – “Me and White Supremacy Workbook”, by Layla Saad.
Cooperation Eugene is engaging a social experiment. Many social activists across Eugene are organizing pods of 3-6 people to work through Layla Saad’s 28-day program detailed in her book, Me and White Supremacy. For more information about Saad’s program, check out this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LImNpSgGgpE
In addition to Cooperation Eugene, there is a diverse set of community organizations such as Eugene 350.org, Wesley United Methodists, SURJ, Ananda Seva Mission, and the River Road Community Organization (RRCO) are also organizing within their circles.
This shared experience will lay the foundation for “The Meeting of the Minds” to be held early in 2021. At least a dozen communities in and out of Eugene that are doing this program will be invited to participate in this summit to discuss what is next. This is a historic moment! No better time to organize for social justice and systems change!
Cooperation Eugene formed two pods in September, and we are thinking to launch another one the first Tuesday, October 6, at 7pm. The first meeting will be a Zoom meeting. After that there may be an in-person meeting if there is enough interest. If you are interested in joining or forming a pod, or bringing your circle into this community process, please contact Alberta (apedroja at gmail dot com) . Otherwise, see you in October!
- “Me and White Supremacy Workbook”, by Layla Saad
- “How to Be an Anti-Racist”, by Ibram X. Kendi
- “Democracy May Not Exist, But We’ll Miss It When It’s Gone”, by Astra Taylor
- “Think like a Commoner, A Short Introduction to the Life of the Commons”, by David Bollier
- Cooperatives – The Working World (Video), TESA Collective (Video), Worker Cooperative People Skills (ebook)
- People’s Economy housing policy section: How We Build Our Neighborhoods
- “Reinventing Organizations: An Illustrated Invitation to Join the Conversation on Next-Stage Organizations”, by Frederic Laloux
- Just Transitions strategy for moving to a regenerative economy – we read these three PDF files and we watched this YouTube video.
- “Sparking the conversation in your community: A DIY guide to planning your own community wealth building summit“, by Justine Porter
- “The Making of a Democratic Economy: How to Build Prosperity for the Many, Not the Few”, by Marjorie Kelly and Ted Howard
- “Sacred Economics”, by Charles Eisenstein
- “The Approaching Great Transformation: Toward a Livable Post Carbon Economy”, by Joel Magnuson
- “Community: The structure of belonging”, by Peter Block
- “The Fifth Sacred Thing”, by Starhawk
- “Blessed Unrest: How the Largest Social Movement in History Is Restoring Grace, Justice, and Beauty to the World”, by Paul Hawken
- “Emergent Strategy: Shaping Change, Changing Worlds”, by Adrienne Maree Brown